ST. THOMAS M.P. RESPONDS TO CAHILL ENERGY, PART OF MASS MEETING 8TH JULY
The people of Barbados have grown tired of the actions of this inept Government. Our Democratic rights are being trampled day by day.
The mantra of this Democratic Labour Party Government speaks to a Barbados that is economically viable, socially balanced, environmentally sound and has good governance.
Barbadians are suffering from the draconian measures which the leadership of our nation has instituted on all Barbadians at all ages and all walks of life. Even the unborn is being impacted upon by the high taxes and poor governance/leadership.
The residents of St. Thomas and St. James are devastated by the news that a Waste to Energy Plant – Cahill Gasification Plant, will be constructed and operated at Vaucluse, St. Thomas from September 2015.
We support efforts to promote waste to energy but we abhor any effort to move into our parish in the dead of the night to establish a plant without the necessary input of residents whose interests and welfare are paramount. They have nowhere else to live, work or recreate, but in St Thomas and St James.
We want answers to a number of concerns:
1. What will the plant cost taxpayers?
2. Has there been an Environmental Impact Assessment plan?
3. What is the Traffic Management plan for the area?
4. Will Barbados generate enough garbage to keep the plant going?
5. Where exactly in Vaucluse will the plant be located?
6. How will this plant operate?
7. What benefits will be derived from its operations?
8. What plans are included should the plant malfunction?
9. How will the plant be fuelled and with what materials?
10. How will our environment be impacted upon?
All residents of St. Thomas and St. James are invited to attend a Community Meeting to share their concerns and receive answers.
Date: Wednesday, July 08, 2015
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Venue: Content Pavilion, St. Thomas
(Near Barker’s Corner and District D’s Magistrates Court)
Barbados’ environment must remain clean, safe and healthy for all Bajans and generations to come. Join and let democracy reign.
Speakers include Ms. Cynthia Forde, MP for St. Thomas, Mr. Kerrie Symmonds, MP for St. James Central, Kammie Holder – Future Centre Trust and Leader of the Opposition Mia A. Mottley, Q.C. M.P.