Twenty-two Caribbean features to screen at 2013 trinidad+tobago film festival
The trinidad+tobago film festival (ttff) announced the first section of its programme of films for its 2013 edition, the Caribbean features section, today. Twenty-two feature-length Caribbean and diaspora films—ten fiction films and 12 documentaries—will screen at the ttff/13, which runs from 17 September–01 October.
Fourteen of the films will be in official competition, for one or more of four awards: Best Narrative Feature, Best Documentary Feature, Best T&T Feature and Best Caribbean Film by an International Filmmaker.
“We have a very strong Caribbean programme this year, films from right across the region, portraying us in all our diversity,” said Annabelle Alcazar, Programme Director of the ttff. “It’s very exciting to see the main section of our programme, grow.”
Still to be announced are the closing night film, the section of Caribbean short and medium-length films, the panorama section of feature-length films (films from world cinema), and the experimental films playing in the New Media section. Last week the Festival announced Half of a Yellow Sun, the Nigerian-UK drama directed by Biyi Bandele, as its opening night film.
The full lineup of Caribbean features follows. Films marked with an asterisk (*) are in competition.
- Abo So Juan Francisco Pardo, Aruba, 2013, international premiere*
- Ana’s Film Daniel Díaz Torres, Cuba, 2012, T&T premiere
- Chrissy! Marcia Weekes, Barbados, 2012, T&T premiere
- God Loves the Fighter Damian Marcano, T&T/USA, 2013, world premiere*
- I Am a Director Javier Colón, Puerto Rico, 2012, T&T premiere*
- Kingston Paradise Mary Wells, Jamaica, 2013, Caribbean premiere*
- Melaza Carlos Lechuga, Cuba, 2012, T&T premiere*
- Payday Selwyne Bourne, Barbados, 2013, international premiere
- The Swimming Pool Carlos Machado Quintela, Cuba, 2012, T&T premiere
- Three Kids Jonas d’Adesky, Haiti/Belgium, 2012, T&T premiere*
- Carmita Laura Guzmán and Israel Cardenás, 2013, Dominican Republic//Mexico/Cuba, Caribbean premiere*
- Fatal Assistance Raoul Peck, Haiti/France, 2013, T&T premiere*
- Forward Ever: The Killing of a Revolution Bruce Paddington, T&T/Grenada, 2013, world premiere
- No Bois Man No Fraid Christopher Laird, T&T, 2013, world premiere*
- Poetry is an Island: Derek Walcott Ida Does, Aruba/The Netherlands/Suriname/Saint Lucia, 2013, world premiere*
- Red, White and Black: A Sports Odyssey Robert Dumas, T&T, 2012
- Silent Music Melissa Gomez, Antigua, 2012, Caribbean premiere
- Songs of Redemption Miquel Galofré and Amanda Sans Pantling, Jamaica/Spain, 2013, T&T premiere*
- The Stuart Hall Project John Akomfrah, UK/Jamaica, 2013, Caribbean premiere*
- Ten Days of Muharram: The Cedros Hosay Che Rodriguez, T&T, 2013, world premiere*
- Viva Cuba Libre: Rap is War! Jesse Acevedo, Cuba/Mexico/USA, 2013, Caribbean premiere*
- The Wind that Blows Thomas Weston, St Vincent and the Grenadines/USA, 2013, T&T premiere