Hey Freundel? You too Owen… Here are some BARP Manifesto Proposals!
In accordance with BARP’s mission to represent the views and interests of its Members and of all Elderly Persons in Barbados, we have submitted a set of proposals to the major political parties for inclusion in their manifestos.
Please bring the following proposals to the attention of the political candidates and their representatives as they canvass throughout your constituencies.
1. NIS PENSIONS
BARP strongly urges that National Insurance Pensions should be exempted from Income Tax.
2. REDUCTION OF VAT ON ELECTRICITY BILLS OF OLDER PERSONS
The removal of VAT on the electricity bills of pensioners over the age of sixty-five
3. INCOME TAX
An increase in the personal allowance deduction from $40,000 to $50,000 for pensioners sixty years and over.
4. TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS
An island wide system should be setup to deal with the increasing traffic violations so that offences are dealt within a shorter period of time. A point system should be implemented to deter repeat offenders. The system should range from increasing fines to be by traffic offenders to suspension or revocation of driver licences depending on the frequency of convictions.
5. REVERSE MORTGAGES
The provision of Legislation and regulatory measures to enable the offering of Reverse Mortgages by financial institutions in Barbados.
6. FACILITY FOR OLDER PERSONS
The provision of tax incentives and other concessions to facilitate the establishment and operation of assisted living facilities for older persons in Barbados.
7. RESTORATION OF TRAVEL AND ENTERTAINMENT ALLOWANCES
8. RESTORATION OF THE INCOME TAX DEDUCTION FOR CREDIT UNION SAVINGS & INVESTMENT; MUTUAL FUNDS AND NEW SHARES IN PUBLICLY LISTED COMPANIES.
9. RESTORATION OF VAT TO ITS ORIGINAL LEVEL (i.e. 15% BASIC AND 7.5% HOTEL ACCOMMODATION).
10. INCREASE IN HOME ALLOWANCE TO $15,000.