CaribbeanTales 2012 Toronto Showcase: Submit Your Film
CaribbeanTales 2012 now accepting film submissions for our 2012 Toronto Showcase, that takes place at the Harbourfront Center between 4th and 15th September.
The Caribbean Diaspora’s most dynamic film festival group – with bases and events in Toronto, Barbados and New York, and partnerships across the region and the globe – showcases Caribbean themed films of all genres. Our programming celebrates the unique voice of the Caribbean in all its shapes, incarnations and diversity, including: culture, comedy, animation, sci-fi, diapora stories, stories of cultural identity and multicultural relationships.
We are looking for short films and features – Please follow the guidelines below and send your application by email to our Malinda Francis, Artistic Associate and Incubator Co-ordinator, CaribbeanTales 2012 Toronto Showcase, at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing your work.
DEADLINE: Monday, July 31st 2012 (NO ENTRY FEE)
- SUBMISSION RULES:
• All lengths and genres accepted.
• CT seeks works made by filmmakers from Caribbean backgrounds and/or that celebrate and explore Caribbean themes, and themes of interest and relevance to audiences from the Caribbean Diaspora; films that push forward the debate about what constitutes a Caribbean aesthetic and brand.
• Preview screeners must be sent through secure online storage, for example a password protected Vimeo account. Submission link should be sent via email to: Malinda Francis, Artistic Associate and Incubator Co-ordinator, CaribbeanTales 2012 Toronto Showcase.
• Please label your previews with the director’s name, the film title, length, country, contact info, genre and year of completion, as well as 150 word Synopsis, and 2 hi res images of the film.
• Films in foreign languages must be subtitled in English.
• If selected, participants agree to pay print shipping costs to Toronto. The festival will pay the cost of shipping copies back to the participant only if requested to do so.
• DO NOT SEND preview screening copies by courier to Toronto.
• All preview tapes will be added to CT’s archives for considertation for our year-round international programming, unless filmmaker indicates in writing that they do not wish it so.
Call For Submissions:
This is a call for applications for the 2012 CaribbeanTales Market Incubator Program, that will take place in Toronto between Sept 4th and 9th 2012.
Fifteen producers will be selected on a competitive basis to attend.
The Incubator Program was created to help producers raise financing, connect
with appropriate buyers, and make their products market-ready. Participants are provided with invaluable networking opportunities with industry colleagues from acorss the Caribbean region, Canada and around the world.The Program mentors filmmakers and enables the space to pitch projects to industry professionals and navigate the Toronto International Film Festival.The Incubator is a 5-day program that includes the following:
- Attendance at 3-day CTWD Market Incubator,
- Attendance at Networking Event/Launch Party
- Attendance at CTWD Pitching event, including one-on-one meetings with buyers attending TIFF
- Informal networking opportunities for filmmakers
- Mentoring Opportunities, led by international consultants
- TIFF Industry pass that including participation in selected TIFF events
ELIGIBILITY: The Incubator is open to producers and filmmakers of Caribbean-themed content, and producers of content that is of relevance to Caribbean and Diaspora audiences, who wish to acquire the tools and techniques necessary to present and promote their projects in the framework of an international market.
The aim is to:
- raise the overall quality of Caribbean-themed film projects, in order to facilitate distribution in regional and international markets
- build a Caribbean film brand, that promotes film alongside other creative industries (like music) as a distinctive and commercially viable product.
- empower regional film-makers to grow the indigenous industry, thus fulfilling the need of regional societies to explore new ways of expressing cultural identity and create employment in this sector
This can be a project in development or completed. Your package should include the following:
Name of project; writer/director/producer/production company; length of film, format, country of production, logline, synopsis, filmmaker Bio, Target audience, financing plan; and, (if available) trailer.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS July 15th 2012. Selected participants will be informed in writing by July 21st 2012.
COSTS: Participants are responsible for their own travel costs and accomodation costs, and for the Registration fee.
- Hotel Rates at the Intercontinental in Downtown Toronto : $50 Shared room; $100 Single Room.
- Early-Bird Registration (by August 1) : $400 USD
- Registration fee: $500 USD by August 20th
- Late Registration fee: $700 USD by September 1
SCHOLARSHIPS: A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available.
If selected, and following an assessment interview with the CaribbeanTales Team. you may be invited to apply for one.