BARBADOS NATIONAL TRUST AWARDS IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE BARBADOS INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS: WINNERS, EXHIBITION AND WEBSITE
The Barbados National Trust and Barbados Institute of Architects announce the winners of the Architectural Awards competition, the mounting of an exhibition of entries and the launch of a website.
The competition was held in recognition of the Trust’s 50th anniversary. The awards recognise the best work revitalising the buildings of the past (pre-WWII) as well as new work (since 1990) to be made note of for the future.
Both old and new buildings are separated into residential and non-residential giving 4 categories:
– Historic Restoration: Residential
– Historic Restoration: Non-Residential
– New Buildings: Residential
– New Buildings: Non-Residential
Category 1 (Restoration – Residential)
– WINNER: CLAYBURY PLANTATION HOUSE by Habitats Architectural Designs Inc
– RUNNER-UP: BEACHGATE by Architect Mark Hiorns Inc
Category 2 (Restoration – Non-residential)
– WINNER: ARLINGTON HOUSE by Gillespie & Steel Associates Ltd
– RUNNER-UP: THE PAVILION by Gillespie & Steel Associates Ltd
– HONOURABLE MENTION: GEORGE WASHINGTON HOUSE by Gillespie & Steel Associates Ltd
– HONOURABLE MENTION: HERBERT HOUSE by Robertson Ward Associates Ltd
– HONOURABLE MENTION: JEWISH SYNAGOGUE by Tomlin Voss Associates
Category 3 (New Buildings – Residential)
– WINNER: SHOESTRING by Architects Cubed Inc
– RUNNER-UP: RILEY RESIDENCE by Harold Morrison + Robert Woodstock Associates (Caribbean) Inc
– HONOURABLE MENTION: KING’S BEACH VILLAS by Architect Mark Hiorns Inc
Category 4 (New Buildings – Non-residential)
– WINNER: NEWTON HOUSE by Architects Cubed Inc
– RUNNER-UP: SUGAR HILL CLUBHOUSE by Architect Mark Hiorns Inc
The Exhibition remains open
– Friday 10th February
– Saturday 11th February
– Sunday 12th February
– at the Errol Barrow Centre for the Creative Imagination, University of the West Indies, Cave Hill.
The opening hours are 12 noon to 8pm.