Drug Smuggling along Barbados coastline nets Five Guyanese & Two Bajans to face multiple charges
As a result of the joint operation on land and sea, led by the Drug Squad and assisted by members of the RSS, and Barbados Coast Guard on Thursday 3rd October 2011, the following persons were charged:
- Barbadian nationals:
1. David Winston Smith, 42 years of Coleman Road, Jackson, St. Michael (captain); and
2. Ralph Ian Holder, 51 years of Hunte’s Street, Bridgetown, St. Michael.
- Guyanese nationals:
1. Unibar Jasiree Angad (captain) 53 years; and crew
2. Peter Granville Gonzales, 48 years;
3. Shan Ali, 41 years;
4. Travis Payne 30 years; and
5. Rupee Angad, 21 years (son of captain).
The above-mentioned persons comprised the crew of the Guyanese registered vessel which was implicated in the trafficking of the illegal drugs that were seized.
The Guyanese cargo vessel was seized at the Bridgetown Port and the Barbadian fishing vessel was intercepted off Sandy Beach, Christ Church within the territorial waters of Barbados. 62.5 kgs of cocaine and 183.5 kgs of cannabis were seized.
All persons received the following charges:
1. Possession of Cocaine
2. Trafficking “
3. Possession with intent to supply cocaine
4. Importation of cocaine
5. Possession of Cannabis
6. Trafficking “
7. Possession with intent to supply cannabis
8. Importation of cocaine
They are expected to appear at the District A Magistrates Court on Monday 7th November 2011.
David Welch | Inspector
Public Relations Officer of the RBPF