Rugby In Barbados: Bajans Hosts NACRA Men’s 15’s First Round Fixture
Barbados will host St Lucia on Saturday, April 16th 2011 at the Garrison Savannah, in a first round match of the NACRA Men’s 15 a-side Championships, South Division. Kick off time is 4:00p.m. The winners of this match will then play the British Virgin Islands to decide who goes through to Round 2, to play against Trinidad & Tobago and Guyana.
In the other first round game, St. Vincent and the Grenadines lost 13-25 to the British Virgin Islands, played at Arnos Vale, St. Vincent, on Saturday, April 9th.
Current Caribbean Champions Trinidad & Tobago will be looking to keep their No. 1 ranked position in the Caribbean, although they will face stiff opposition from the likes of Bermuda, who have had recent victories over the Cayman Islands and the Bahamas. With many of the regions Unions concentrating on developing their 7 a-side programs in recent years, many of the teams enter the tournament with an unknown element.
In recent weeks, the local players have been able to play several “friendly” games against visiting squads from Monmouth, Dartmouth, Vassar College and Brown University.
The Select XV beat Brown University 27 – 20 in their first warm up game prior to the International against St. Lucia on April 16th. The squad scored four tries in the first half but lost direction losing 10 – 5 points in the second half.
Other Recent Results:
- Mar 3rd – Masters XV 29 Monmouth RFC 27
- Mar 5th – Scorpions beat Monmouth RFC
- Mar 9th – B’dos Ladies 0 v Vassar Ladies 25
- B’dos U20 15 v Vassar College 8
- Mar 12th – B’dos Ladies 12 v Vassar Ladies 5
- Combined Clubs 31 v Vassar College 20
- Mar 16th – B’dos U20 18 v Vassar College 14
- Mar 19th – B’dos Dev XV 26 v Dartmouth 31
- Mar 20th – B’dos Select XV 27 v Dartmouth 28
- Mar 27th – Combined Clubs 26 v Brown Uni. 22
- Mar 29th – Scorpions 29 v Brown University 24