Bajan Director, Producer & Cast Member Return Home with Dynamic New Web Series, Special Screening in Caribbean Tales
For the first time in nearly 12 years, Bajan Director Rodney Smith returns to the island to participate in an array of activities during the upcoming Caribbean Tales festival, March 14-20, 2011.
“I look forward to returning home, and I’m excited to have such a presence in the festival,” says Mr. Smith, CEO of Flyin’ Monkey Films, now based in New York City. “I focus not only on producing visionary and high-quality projects, but also leveraging the talent and energy of the Caribbean film and media industry. That’s why it’s important to me to be back here – I can leverage my experience to educate others and continue the emergence of the industry here in Barbados.”
Mr. Smith is joined by Bajans Aubrey Padmore, producer on Smith’s latest project Dominion – A Detective Noir
Web Series, which premiered to notable fanfare in New York City last week; and Sean Michael Field, CEO of newly launched Iland Boy Films and established speaker, artist and actor in feature films, commercials and more.
Smith, Padmore and Field are slated to lead a variety of activities during the festival:
• A full-day workshop led by Mr. Smith on film production equipment and acting, for local artists and production professionals; and a full-day workshop on marketing led by Mr. Padmore
• A screening of four of Smith’s notable film and entertainment projects on Tuesday 15 March
• An exclusive screening of Dominion – A Detective Noir Web Series during the festival’s opening night on March 16, featuring Mr. Field and Bajan actress Maia Nicholson
• Production of an all-new episode for Dominion, starring Mr. Field and featuring an entirely local cast and crew
• Production of the new short film Redemption, from Mr. Field’s Iland Boy Films, also featuring an entirely local cast and crew
“Web series producers just aren’t able to do what we’re doing – come home and not only educate our colleagues here but also film episodes on location, drawing from the amazing talent here on the island,” adds Smith.
Dominion, expected to quickly become one of the most intriguing and compelling web series available, is a dark tale of mystery told in classic detective noir style. It features a rich world of supernatural creatures who live side by side with humans in our own world, and revolves around a detective (Jeremiah, played by Sean Michael Field) who is pulled into the world of the supernatural by his newest client, an enigmatic woman named Marco (Maia Nicholson).
Smith and Flyin Monkey Films are actively engaging with sponsors and partners to join Dominion’s filming schedule in 2011 and capitalize on the series’ growing popularity in the United States, Caribbean and beyond.
Mr. Field and Iland Boys Films are currently heavily involved in promotion and sponsorship discussions around its short film Egress, recently filmed in New York City, and its upcoming feature Cross Island Express.