MAJORITY OF DIGICEL CELL SITES UP ACROSS HAITI – US$500,000 raised so far through Digicel’s text & voice donation line
Work to restore the Digicel network continues with the majority of the cell sites now back on air and functioning well.
As the biggest and best network in Haiti, Digicel continues to have more cell sites on air than any other provider and is seeing more and more of its customers using the network.
- FREE SIM card replacement programme at Digicel stores for anyone who has lost their existing SIM card – importantly, customers will be able to keep their original number
- Big reduction on the price of Digicel Coral 150 handsets – down to US$12 from the already discounted price of US$20
- Many stores have re-opened across the country including seven in Port au Prince
- In an effort to ensure that as many customers as possible can purchase credit, handsets and accessories like alternative energy mobile phone chargers, one of Digicel’s mobile stores is open each day in the airport area of Port au Prince from 9am until 4pm
- More supplementary charging stations in the Digicel stores to ensure that customers can charge up their phone batteries and be able to avail themselves of the US$5 free credit to stay connected with friends and family.
- And for people across the Diaspora wishing to send credit to friends and family in Haiti, Digicel is giving Double Bubble to customers meaning that they will receive double the value of the credit that they purchase for no additional cost. In Haiti itself, people can transfer credit from one phone to another using Digicel Credit U service
- Digicel’s text and voice donation line has now raised nearly US$500,000 in just under a week and the amount is going up all the time.
- In addition, Orange in the Dominican Republic has kindly donated technical resources and equipment to aid Digicel in its recovery efforts.
Colm Delves, Group CEO of Digicel, comments; “We’re continuing to make strides on getting our network back to full strength and in tandem have put introduced a number of initiatives to ensure our customers have access to phone credit, phones and phone accessories so that they can stay connected to family and friends.
“Orange’s support has been tremendous. We would like to say a big thank you to them for the kind contribution of technical equipment and people. We would also like to thank all the people who have kindly given to our voice and text donation line and would encourage them to keep on giving to help the people of Haiti.”
As the single largest investor in Haiti with a total investment of U$370 million since its launch in 2006, Digicel has over two million customers in Haiti and has announced a US$5 million donation to the Haiti relief efforts. This donation will go to NGOs like Concern and Medecins sans Frontieres.