Big knickers knick a UK fry from becoming fiery disaster

James Brown has sung about hot pants, Jamaicans are legendary for their batty riders, but in England when a bread fry went awry? CNN says it was underwear what kept the flames undercover –

John Marsey and his cousin Darren Lines were frying bread in Jenny Marsey’s kitchen in Hartlepool, northeast England, over the weekend when their meal caught fire.

Lines grabbed the nearest thing from a pile of laundry to put it out: his aunt’s billowing, powder blue, size XL underpants.

He ran them under the faucet and tossed them onto the flames, successfully smothering the fire, a spokesman for the Cleveland Fire Brigade said, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with department policy.

Darren’s aunt was not upset over the loss of her briefs, as she was more worried that folks could have been hurt. But exactly how safe is the method of the Hartlepool resident’s rescue? According to CNN’s source, not too bad –

The fire official said the general principle of using a large, wet cloth to cover a grease fire was a sound one.

As for using underwear: “Clearly it depends on what size you are — but I don’t want to go there.”
Good thing this is a true story, as the pants were already on fire

Follow on Instagram

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.


add a comment

Some HTML is OK

or, reply to this post via trackback.

  • My Bdos Lottery Top Up 20201
  • Cloud Vision Academy 2022 Sept 336x280 1
  • SG Coop Ad Gift Vouchers 336 x 280
  • 120x600 GEL 100th Anniversary Comp