Home Building Seminar at Yacht Club this week – avoid what happened at Brittons Hill
BARBADIANS involved in building their own home or in the process of doing so now have an opportunity to getting some free home building information to help them along the way.
It is in the form of a free public seminar sponsored by the Barbados Association of Professional Engineers (BAPE) to take place at the Barbados Yacht Club, Bay Street on Thursday from 5.30 to 7.30 p.m.
This was revealed by William Ashby, first vice-president of BAPE who said that the theme of the seminar was “Ensuring Success In Your Home Building Projects.”
Ashby said that the presenters at the seminar would be structural engineer Grenville Phillips II, director of Consulting Engineering Partnership; Elizabeth Cupples, architect/director of Trinity Homes Ltd., and Steve Ifill, managing director of Steve’s Building Works Ltd.
Coming so soon after the tragedy at Brittons Hill in which a family of five were killed after a section of their apartment building collapsed in a cave, Ashby urged Barbadian homebuilders to take advantage of the seminar by attending it since it would impart to them vital information critical to their home building.
He added:”With the large volume of home construction and renovations work being undertaken in Barbados, and the significant investment that this involves, owners are keen to ensure they get the best quality home for their money.“
Ashby said that Barbadians attending the seminar would hear how to:
* Investigate their site to select the best foundation type
* ensure they have a sound architectural and engineering design
* ensure their building materials are of good quality
* manage the cost of their building projects
* manage the time scheduled for the work
* get the best performance from their building
* avoid defective work
* inspect work before they pay
* fiind the right professionals to help you when you need it