Over 10 Million Downloads of BBM for Android & iPhone on the 1st Day
In just 24 hours BBM™ has been downloaded over 10 million times by Android™ and iPhone® users, one of the best single-day openings for a mobile app to date. BBM, the premier private social network from BlackBerry®, is available for free in the App Store and Google Play™ for immediate download.
BBM also quickly rose through the rankings on the App Store to be the number one free app in more than 75 countries in the first 24 hours, including the US, Canada, the UK, Indonesia and most of the Middle East. User ratings in both the App Store and Google Play are overwhelmingly positive, earning BBM 60,000 five-star reviews on Google Play from about 87,000 reviews.
“This has been an incredible launch for BBM across Android and iPhone devices. The mobile messaging market is full of opportunity for BBM. We intend to be the leading private social network for everyone who needs the immediate communication and collaboration of instant messaging combined with the privacy, control and reliability delivered through BBM,” said Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President, BBM at BlackBerry.
BBM users, old and new, are enjoying the following features:
- BBM Chat – Enjoy real, immediate conversations with friends on Android, iPhone and BlackBerry smartphones. Not only does BBM let people know their message has been delivered and read, it also shows them when a contact is responding to a message.
- More than chat – With BBM, customers can simply and instantly share files such as photos and voice notes. Multi-person chats are a great way to invite contacts to chat together.
- Get in the Group – BBM Groups lets users invite up to 30 friends to chat together, as well as share photo albums, calendars and files.
- Post Updates and stay in the know – BBM lets people post a personal message, profile picture and a current status, and lets contacts see statuses instantly in Updates.
- Your unique PIN – Every BBM user has a unique PIN that maintains privacy, so users are not required to ever give out their phone number or email address to a new or casual contact.
Android and iPhone users will have access to BBM Voice and Video Calling, as well as the new community building tool – BBM Channels – in the near future.